Skip Navigation Links
Division HomeSkip Navigation Links
Contact Driver LicenseSkip Navigation Links
Online ServicesSkip Navigation Links
Star IDSkip Navigation Links
License and ID CardsSkip Navigation Links
Division LinksSkip Navigation Links
FormsSkip Navigation Links
ManualsSkip Navigation Links

Commercial Driver License Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the CDL Self Certification?
    Pursuant to Federal Regulations 49 CFR 383, 384, 390 and 391, all Classes A, B or C Commercial License (CDL) holders must certify to the type of commercial operation they’re engaged in. You can certify on our website at and visit the Driver License home page, under Division Links, CDL Self Certification.
  2. How often do I need to submit/re-submit my self-certification?
    Once submitted, unless you change the type of transportation you are involved in, you do not need to submit another self-certification. To change your certification you can visit our website at
  3. When do I need to submit my DOT medical card?
    As long as you remain in the Non-Excepted Interstate self-certification category, your medical card needs to be submitted before the current one on file expires. To avoid any overlap with your driving privilege, it is recommended to submit it at least 2 weeks prior to the expiration date.
  4. How do I submit my DOT medical certification?
    Fax to 334-353-1980 (preferred method), email to:, or mail to: CDL Unit, PO Box 1471, Montgomery, AL 36102.
  5. Where do I get a medical card? Can my regular Doctor give me one?
    Only doctors certified by FMCSA can administer the DOT physical. They will have a Federal Registration number, and they will have the correct form(s). For more information regarding Medical Certification Please see: Federal Regulations: Medical examination; certificate of physical examination. PDF/136kb
  6. If I drove Commercial size vehicles in the military, do I have to test for my CDL?
    Military service members who are currently licensed and who are or were employed within the past year (12 months) in a military transportation unit requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle are eligible for a military skills waiver. These individuals will still have to take the knowledge portion(s) of the CDL test, but the skills will be waived. The form to have the skills portion waived is available at any ALEA CDL testing office and should be requested at the time the knowledge test(s) are being taken.
  7. Do I have to get a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) before I can be issued my Commercial Driver License?
    Yes, if being issued a CDL for the first time, or upgrading, a CLP be issued first and must be held for at least 14 days before testing for the CDL.
  8. How long is the Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) issued?
    The CLP is valid for 180 days and may be renewed one time.