STAR ID Frequently Asked Questions

Star ID

“Secure, Trusted, And Reliable,” STAR ID is part of a nationwide effort to improve the integrity and security of state-issued driver licenses and identification cards, which, in turn, will help fight terrorism and reduce fraud.

In response to acts of terrorism committed against the United States, and in an effort to ensure the safety of citizens, Congress passed the REAL-ID Act of 2005, modifying federal laws pertaining to security, authentication and issuance procedure standards for state driver licenses and identification cards. In order to comply with the requirements of this federal legislation, the Alabama Department of Public Safety has developed the STAR ID program.

Yes, Alabama began a STAR I.D. pilot project in central Alabama Oct. 3, 2011, in the Driver License examining offices in Montgomery, Autauga and Chilton counties, and began issuing STAR I.D. statewide in early 2012.

Beginning May 7, 2025, all domestic flights will require flyers to hold a STAR ID or possess a passport.  To see a list of all accepted documents visit TSA.  Some military installations are currently requiring a STAR ID to obtain access, it will depend on the facility.   

No, expected changes will be minor. STAR ID will have a gold star in the upper left corner to make them easily recognizable as Real-ID compliant.

No, the final rule specifies that each individual can hold either a STAR ID driver license or a STAR ID identification card, but not both simultaneously. If you currently hold both, one will be cancelled during your next card issuance.

Yes, you will have to pay for a duplicate.

No, STAR ID is available only at the ALEA Driver License examining offices. There are offices located statewide

Starting May 7, 2025, every air traveler will need to present a REAL ID-compliant license or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel. A REAL ID compliant license is one that meets and is issued by a state which complies with, the REAL ID Act’s security standards.
Please see TSA’s list of acceptable forms of identification. Passengers who have licenses issued by a state that is compliant or that has an extension to become compliant with REAL ID requirements may continue to use their licenses as usual. For a list of states already in compliance or with an extension visit DHS’s REAL ID. DHS continually updates this list as more states come into compliance or obtain extensions.

If you present utility bills to verify the address of your principal residence, and those bills are in your spouse's name, you must bring your marriage certificate. If utility bills are in your parent's name, you may use your birth certificate.