Pursuant to ACT 2017-395, a person may voluntarily register all-terrain vehicles and recreational off-highway vehicles with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA).
What vehicles qualify for registration?
- ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES (ATV): Every motor vehicle 60 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more non-highway tires, and manufactured for off-road use by a single operator or by an operator and not more than one passenger as provided by the manufacturer.
- RECREATIONAL OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE: Any off-road vehicle 80 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 2,500 pounds or less, designed and manufactured to travel on four or more non-highway tires for off-road use by an operator and the number of passengers as provided by the manufacturer.
How do I register my ATV?
- The application for registration can be made through the dealer at the point of sale or directly to ALEA.
- Complete the ATV/UTV Registration Form and provide a Purchaser’s Certificate or a “Bill of Sale” showing a complete description of the vehicle, including the serial number or other identifying numbers, as well as the seller’s name and address.
- Submit the application for registration, along with proper documentation, and registration fees to:
ALEA ATV/UTV Registration
PO Box 304115
Montgomery, AL 36130
What are the registration fees?
- For Public Use: $45.00, plus $2.50 issuance (Good for three (3) years) - Public Use is defined as “used on designated areas for off-road public use.”
- For Private Use: $15.00, plus $2.50 issuance (Good for three (3) years) - Private Use is defined as “used exclusively for private or agricultural use or used exclusively on private property.”
- For a Duplicate or Transfer: $5.00 (Contact ALEA direct)
For more information, contact ALEA at 334-517-2930